MASSH-400 Sign Support System
Multi-Directionally Activated Sign Support Hardware
The MASSH-400 enhances the performance of large sign post systems while generating both material and labor savings. It also provides a safer environment for everyone on the roadway before, during and after a traffic incident.
It’s designed to be impacted from ANY direction, and is field fit ready with the ability to hold up to 72 ft2 of sign area per post in a 90 mph wind zone.
Simple product design, fewer parts and the ability to pre-cut posts reduces the installation time, which will minimize worker’s exposure to traffic. The MASSH-400 also offers vehicle protection with its Omni-directional hinge assembly allowing the vehicle to safely pass under the sign after impact.
The MASSH-400 ground mounted sign support system is a 4-inch square x 8 gauge steel tube with a superior Gatorshield® finish to prevent corrosion.
The MASSH-400 has been successfully crash tested and meets the required MASH (Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware) Test Level 3 breakaway criteria and is eligible for reimbursement of funds on Federal-aid projects on the National Highway System.
The slip base and hinge have the strength to support a large sign area during normal conditions, yet allows the post to disengage from the stub with minimal force upon impact by an errant vehicle. The pivoting action of the hinge assembly aids in permitting the post to bend and/or pivot out of the way of the vehicle, allowing the vehicle to pass under the sign after impact.
Features and Benefits
The unique, patent pending Redi-Torque multi-directional triangular slip base is designed to be impacted from any direction and breakaway at impact, unlike typical beam posts.
- Redi-Torque bolts can easily be installed in high impact areas, without the need for a torque wrench and still provide the necessary holding strength for the post they are supporting.
- The Omni-directional hinge assembly for multiple posts assists the structure in moving out of the way of a vehicle caused by an impact and helps reduce damage to the sign panel and vehicle.
- Done in accordance with AASHTO “Standard Specifications for Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires, and Traffic Signals”, sixth edition.
Quick & Easy Installation
The simplicity of the product design allows for a quick and easy installation with fewer parts and fewer trips than other sign support systems.
With a stock of spare posts, hinges and hardware, reinstallation can be performed once a sign crew is available. This process eliminates the need to wait for special fabrication. In most situations, MASSH-400 components are undamaged after impact and can be reinstalled quickly with few replacement parts, which minimizes the need for temporary supports.
- Replacement costs are reduced, as damaged posts are easily salvaged and cut in smaller useful lengths
- The hinge is designed to be rebuilt eliminating the need to purchase a new hinge assembly, which will lower Department of Transportation (DOT) maintenance costs
- The MASSH-400 requires fewer parts to stock, and can be used for virtually every installation.
All components are made, melted & coated in the USA
The MASSH-400 is manufactured by Allied Tube & Conduit® in cooperation with Xcessories Squared.